Educators are challenged to develop lessons to introduce careers to students. However, realistically, it is difficult for busy educators to know the details of all careers. This event was designed for educators to provide career exploration for their students within the construction industry, including trades, infrastructure, utilities, engineering, design and architecture and more. The industry understands the way to introduce the students to these careers is best done with interactive and hands-on activities. As the students participate and investigate the various careers, they gather details and information to take back and assess in their personal lives and in the classroom.
How to Participate
There is no cost to the schools to participate; educators simply fill out a brief application between August and October each year. Space is limited. The 2018 School Registration Form and school letter can be found here. After applications have been received, notification in the form of an email invitation will be sent to the selected educators. Once selected, the educators will register the students, who have a signed completed. The educators must complete student registration prior to November 2, 2018.
Educators must arrange for bus transportation for their group. If there are issues with transportation, please contact the SACCD coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upon arrival, between 8:00 – 8:30 am and before disembarking the bus, a committee member will welcome your group. They will take you through the schedule that starts at 8:30 and includes a short overview of the morning experience and collection of your permission forms as well as the Educator’s and chaperon’s signed release form. Every accompanying adult must have a signed 2018 Parent Guardian Consent Form which is sent with acceptance emails. There is no cost to the schools to participate. Teachers and chaperon’s accompany their students as their Industry Group Leader spends the morning taking them through their schedule, which includes a mid-morning lunch. By 2:00, teachers and students are back on their buses and heading back to the school.
Event: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 & Thursday, November 8, 2018
• Assist students in learning about construction careers
• See what variety of industry careers are available
• Gather contacts and information for classroom discussions on career options
Why a Career in Construction?
• Jobs are plentiful: Nationally 200,000 new positions in construction related industries will be available each year over the next ten years.
• A variety of Construction related careers are available: Skilled and Craft level; draft and architecture; technical and engineering; management and safety.
• Diverse education possibilities: On Job Training, apprenticeships, vocational training 2 year or 4 year degrees and more.
What Will Be Experienced?
• Hands –on Activities: A variety which may include masonry, carpentry, electrical, welding, and much MORE!
• Heavy Stationary Equipment Operations: Backhoes, mini-excavators, people lifts, articulated boom truck, and several others.
• Technology Activities: Drafting, engineering, design, architecture, computer-aided construction and controls.
What Should My Students Wear and Bring with Them?
SACCD is much like a construction work environment. Activities will be held both under a tent and outside. Appropriate attire is required for entry.
• A signed 2018 Parent Guardian Consent Form
• Students must arrive with a school group
• Must wear long pants (no shorts or cut offs)
• Wear closed toed shoes (like tennis shoes)
• No tank tops
• Be aware of the weather, perhaps a jacket is needed?
• Students wearing tank tops, shorts or sandals will not be allowed to participate at the event.
• Hard hats, shirts and safety glasses are provided
• Lunch is provided
• Bus transportation is provided by each school district
• This is an invitational event; all participants must be registered with a school group
Where is it Held?
Southern Arizona Construction Career Days will be held at the Tucson Rodeo Grounds.
Located at: 4823 S 6th Ave, Tucson, AZ 85714
From I-10: take Park Ave. exit South; follow Park West to Irvington Rd.; turn right (North) on Irvington. From I-19: take Irvington Rd.