We are excited to host you for the 5th Annual Southern Arizona Construction Career Days (SACCD) event. This year we will host over 2,300 students from over 60 different schools; the most ever! With that being said, we have a few items for you to discuss with your students prior to attending the event.
First, please remind your students that this is an active job site. We will supply all students’ hard hats, safety glasses, and shirts. Please note the hard hats are NOT to keep; we will collect them upon your departure. The safety glasses and shirts are for them to keep.
We will have plenty of water, but we suggest students bringing some more; depending on the weather it could be very hot and staying hydrated will be important. We will provide all students and teachers lunch which will include a sandwich, fruit, and a side.
Because we consider this an active job site, all students must wear closed-toe shoes. We recommended, but not require, long pants.
We will have over 75 industry partners represented at this year’s SACCD’s. To help us provide a productive experience for all your students and to help us keep it safe and organized I want you to discuss a few procedures with your students prior to attending.
- Discuss Professional Skills with them including:
- Have students introduce themselves to industry members with a handshake
- Maintain good eye contract.
- Speak clearly.
- Discuss employment and interest questions they can ask and encourage them to all ask questions.
- Have them thank all individuals they come in contact.
- Many industry members will have candy/handouts remind them about proper amount.
- Discard all their trash in the trash cans.
- Discuss inappropriate language, that it is not professional.
- Follow the assigned rotation sequence.
- Have an enjoyable time!
Lastly, upon your arrival, you will be greeted by one of Committee members who will remind you of these tips and safety requirements. For you, you will also be supplied a small map showing you the direction and time-line of the event. Because we have four learning areas of various construction disciplines, you will see each one based on a time schedule.
We encourage you and your students to download the SACCD app. The app will supply an electronic version of the map and much more. Though in the real field of construction, we don’t allow cell phone use, but in this case we encourage you and your students to use it.
Please see the link below for the survey for students to provide feedback. After the event is over, pleas have your students complete the c=survey to have a chance to win a new iPad. One student from each day will win an iPad as long as they compete the survey and be presented with it at their school. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/B77P69H
Ramon Gaanderse, Treasurer & Co-Founder, Southern Arizona Construction Career Days
Communications Director, KE&G Construction
Educators are challenged to develop lessons to introduce careers to students. However, realistically, it is difficult for busy educators to know the details of all careers. This event was designed for educators to provide career exploration for their students within the construction industry, including trades, infrastructure, utilities, engineering, design and architecture and more. The industry understands the way to introduce the students to these careers is best done with interactive and hands-on activities. As the students participate and investigate the various careers, they gather details and information to take back and assess in their personal lives and in the classroom.
How to Participate
There is no cost to the schools to participate; educators simply fill out a brief application between August and October each year. Space is limited. The 2018 School Registration Form and school letter can be found here. After applications have been received, notification in the form of an email invitation will be sent to the selected educators. Once selected, the educators will register the students, who have a signed completed. The educators must complete student registration prior to November 2, 2018.
Educators must arrange for bus transportation for their group. If there are issues with transportation, please contact the SACCD coordinator: email@example.com.
Upon arrival, between 8:00 – 8:30 am and before disembarking the bus, a committee member will welcome your group. They will take you through the schedule that starts at 8:30 and includes a short overview of the morning experience and collection of your permission forms as well as the Educator’s and chaperon’s signed release form. Every accompanying adult must have a signed 2018 Parent Guardian Consent Form which is sent with acceptance emails. There is no cost to the schools to participate. Teachers and chaperon’s accompany their students as their Industry Group Leader spends the morning taking them through their schedule, which includes a mid-morning lunch. By 2:00, teachers and students are back on their buses and heading back to the school.
Event: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 & Thursday, November 8, 2018
• Assist students in learning about construction careers
• See what variety of industry careers are available
• Gather contacts and information for classroom discussions on career options
Why a Career in Construction?
• Jobs are plentiful: Nationally 200,000 new positions in construction related industries will be available each year over the next ten years.
• A variety of Construction related careers are available: Skilled and Craft level; draft and architecture; technical and engineering; management and safety.
• Diverse education possibilities: On Job Training, apprenticeships, vocational training 2 year or 4 year degrees and more.
What Will Be Experienced?
• Hands –on Activities: A variety which may include masonry, carpentry, electrical, welding, and much MORE!
• Heavy Stationary Equipment Operations: Backhoes, mini-excavators, people lifts, articulated boom truck, and several others.
• Technology Activities: Drafting, engineering, design, architecture, computer-aided construction and controls.
What Should My Students Wear and Bring with Them?
SACCD is much like a construction work environment. Activities will be held both under a tent and outside. Appropriate attire is required for entry.
• A signed 2018 Parent Guardian Consent Form
• Students must arrive with a school group
• Must wear long pants (no shorts or cut offs)
• Wear closed toed shoes (like tennis shoes)
• No tank tops
• Be aware of the weather, perhaps a jacket is needed?
• Students wearing tank tops, shorts or sandals will not be allowed to participate at the event.
• Hard hats, shirts and safety glasses are provided
• Lunch is provided
• Bus transportation is provided by each school district
• This is an invitational event; all participants must be registered with a school group
Where is it Held?
Southern Arizona Construction Career Days will be held at the Tucson Rodeo Grounds.
Located at: 4823 S 6th Ave, Tucson, AZ 85714
From I-10: take Park Ave. exit South; follow Park West to Irvington Rd.; turn right (North) on Irvington. From I-19: take Irvington Rd.